- ‘Flu’ is the short term used for ‘influenza’.
- Caused by viral infection of the nose, throat and chest.
- Cold and flu is more likely to occur in children than adults.
- A child may develop cold and flu up to eight times a year compared to two or three times for adults.
Signs and symptoms
- The Common Cold
- Onset of symptoms is 1-4 days after infection
- Cold symptoms in children include:
- Fever (37.5 to 39°C)
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Stomach upset
- Convulsions, attributed to fever
- Symptoms similar to the common cold (see above) but usually more severe. These are also accompanied by:
- General aches and pains
Pain or burning sensation in eyess
- Vitamin C – for prevention and treatment of cold and flu.
- Cod Liver oil – increase immune system
- Multivitamin and minerals– for prevention of cold and flu
- Vitamin E– Antioxidants and immunity booster, help in prevent cold